Have you ever read some of the nasty things they put into bottled electrolyte drinks? Natural and artificial flavors, high amounts of refined sugar, color, and other chemicals to make it more commercially acceptable. You can do better, and you should. Although you can get DIY recipes online, most of them are fruit juice and coconut water. I wanted to be more pure, and less expensive. My version shared with you:
- 18oz reverse osmosis water (or water of your choice)
- 1 tbsp raw organic honey (choose local)
- 2 tsps fine ground pink Himalayan salt
- 2 tsps Natural Calm Magnesium (unflavored)
- 1/16 tsp Potassium Citrate (bulk powder, read the label for doses, the adequate intake for healthy adults is 4,700mg daily. You can add up to a 1/3 of that into your drink assuming you will get the other 2/3rds via food.)
- If desired: 2-3 slices of cucumber cut into quarters, or a few small slices of ginger (my favorite!)
Add these to your room temperature water, shake, and drink. You can refrigerate this. With the salt and honey this will not “spoil”, but it’s so much better consumed within the first week or so. I always have some made for an emergency… but keep the cucumber out of any version you plan on storing for more than 2-3 days.
This is also an amazing drink to have by your bedside. An ounce or two before and after sleep will relax and kick-start you. Feeding the body specific electrolytes has an amazing affect on sleep, and waking up more coherently. You can manage the sugar with the amount of honey, but I wouldn’t eliminate it (unless you have a medical reason to).